The Role of the Center Midfielder
Here is what you will find in this guide:
- The roles and responsibilities of a holding midfielder when your team is defending
- A look at the three types of center midfielders
- The differences between a defensive midfielder and a holding midfielder
- How to use your center midfielder as a deep lying playmaker
- How the center midfielder can provide cover to attacking midfielders
- How to use a center midfielder in different formations and systems of play
The center midfielder has numerous functions including, being a link player between the defenders and forwards, act as a pivot player when your team is in possession, supporting attacking situations, and more.
Teams with all formations including the 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, and others can all play with an defending center midfielder.
How you use your center midfielder when defending can give your team and tactics much more flexibility and allows for a better defending foundation. Check it out and see how the pro's play with an center midfielder when defending.